• October 6RESPECT

• October 6SELF-DISCIPLINE

• October 6COMMUNITY

Nurse Annie

Michaela B, Amanda B, and Emily L, Reporters

When Mrs. Mucciacciaro retired from SMMS last year, we were blessed with a new nurse, Annie DeMayo.  We talked with Nurse Annie about her job as a nurse and what she like about working at SMMS.

Nurse Annie was a substitute nurse and worked at many other schools; Middlebury Elementary School, Long Meadow Elementary School, Memorial Middle School, Rochambeau School, Pomperaug High School and Pomperaug Middle School, the Taft School, John Trumbull Elementary School, Judson Elementary School, and now she is working at SMMS.

When we asked Nurse Annie if she liked working full time instead of a substitute and she explained: “Yes, it is because you feel like you’re more knowledgeable about the kids and the office. It can be nerve-wracking not knowing all of the kids, not knowing where or what the old nurse did with the kids and supplies. But after awhile, you get used to the community, the school, and the kids.” 

We wanted to know if there ever some situations where Nurse Annie felt that she can’t help a child with whatever help they may need?   Nurse Annie said: “Physical needs are always easy for me, but spiritual needs are difficult.  It’s difficult to comfort children sometime, so I just give them all the attention they may need.”

We asked if it was difficult to be a school nurse, and Nurse Annie told us: “It is! At the Taft school, I was with other nurses and at the middle schools I was not alone, but there is only one nurse at SMMS.  Sometimes I feel alone because the teachers are teaching, but they all are very supportive if I need them. I can call people up and talk to them that way, but yeah overall being the school nurse is very enjoyable. The student are very respectful, and I am still learning and getting used to them. It’s very different than other schools.”

We asked Nurse Annie if she enjoyed working at SMMS, and she responded: “Oh absolutely, this is my dream job; I am a very spiritual person. I want to tell you a special story. When I was interviewed, I was at Taft at the time and Watertown I had a job application for John Trumbull but these jobs were only temporary. I really wanted to work where I could emphasize the spiritual side of me, but SMMS was not available. When Ms. Mucc left, Mrs. Mulhall asked me if I wanted to be a full time nurse at SMMS, and of course I didn’t turn that opportunity down.”  So in August our school was blessed with Nurse Annie! Everyone here at SMMS is very happy to have Nurse Annie to take care of us.