• October 6RESPECT

• October 6SELF-DISCIPLINE

• October 6COMMUNITY

Running the Pigs

Emma S., Reporter

The SMMS Pig Race is a school-wide event that takes every year in the fall. Each class in grades K through 8 receives a different colored mechanical pig that they name and decorate. This year, the 8th grade decided to name their pig “Pumpkin Pierate”. The annual pig race took place on Halloween. The school gathered and fans were ready to support their class pig.

Shortly after the pigs were announced, K-4 grade turned on their pigs and placed them down on the start line. Then, the crowd erupted in a volcano of cheers and after the countdown: 3… 2… 1… and the pigs were off. The crowd screamed and cheered as the oinking pigs and scrambled to the finish. Finally the top 3 pigs from that race qualified for the finals. The next heat included grades 5-8, and it was my turn to unleash a pig.

I walked over to the start line and looked up at the crowd, everyone cheering and yelling. As I turned the pig on and put it down I heard R.J. yell my name and shout “let’s go.” I carefully placed the pig down and then in 3… 2… 1… they were off. Our pig won that heat and made it to the finals along with the pigs from  2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 7th grade. For the last time, I put my pig down and waited for the last 3… 2… 1.  The pigs were off for the final heat of the 2017 pig race. I watched as our pig scrambled to the lead as my anxiety grew. “What if we win?”, I thought;“Everyone would be so proud.”  Our pig was so close to the finish line, and then, we won! I jumped up and down. I was so excited, and the crowd was going wild. They handed me the trophy and I held it up high. Everyone cheered because the 8th grade class hasn’t won the pig race since the students were in the 1st grade. The 4th grade pig ended up winning 2nd place and the 5th grade pig won 3rd place.

After the race, I talked to Emily Lanoie (8th grade), she said “The pig race was so exciting. I can’t believe we won!”  Kaya Grasso, also in the 8th grade, said: “That pig race was amazing and I cannot believe that we won”.  Caden from the 3rd grade said: “The race was fun but I’m sad that our pig Mr. McPork Chop didn’t win”.

Whether a pig is a winner or loser, the SMMS Pig Race is always one of the students’ favorite events!