• October 6RESPECT

• October 6SELF-DISCIPLINE

• October 6COMMUNITY

Cougars On The Run

By Emma S. and Jamie D., Reporters

Inside Cross Country

Cross country is when a participant runs a course for a long distance. In our school the team consists of the 5th through 8th grades. The team practices twice a week preparing for meets. Most team members think it is so much fun and they love going to meets and crossing the finish line. There is a sudden rush of accomplishment that we just finish a race.

Head coach, Ann Smith explained that cross country running is a sport in which teams and individuals run a race on open-air courses over natural terrain such as dirt or grass. In cross country everyone competes. Everyone runs the same course at every meet and all athletes get to participate. There are no cuts and no benches to sit on. For the middle school ages the cross country organized meets are 2 miles.

Coach Smith believes that the cross country team this year has a ton of energy and spirit.  The team consists of 14 boys and 16 girls ranging in grades 5 through 8.  Some of the kids have been on the team before and some are new to running completely.  They all have passion and a desire to do their best.  They are not afraid to go the distance and I admire that.

In addition, Coach Smith told us that she likes that she can share her experience as a runner and encourage a healthy lifestyle.  She said, “I like training with the runners as a team and even better as individuals where I can help them meet their goals and build their confidence.  I also like to instill a bit of competition to get them excited about the meets.  It’s rewarding to watch them cross the finish line at the meets and seeing the pride on their faces.”

When we asked her why she became the coach for the SMMS cross country team, Coach Smith said, “at first I was hesitant to take on the position of coaching due to my already overwhelmingly busy schedule.  However, at the same time, taking on this responsibly was challenging and exciting to me.  I was eager to share my love for running.   This is my second year coaching and I love it.”